March 26 break and enters - public assistance request
Wilfrid Laurier University Special Constable Service
On April 7, 2017 Waterloo Regional Police Service arrested Harjit Bhatti, a 21-year-old Brampton resident, for a series of 19 residential break and enters.
The majority of these incidents occurred Sunday, March 26 in the early morning hours on Regina Street in Waterloo. A building on Phillip Street was also targeted.
The accused targeted apartment buildings that are occupied mainly by students of local universities. Numerous residents were home sleeping at the time of the entries.
All entries were made through an unlocked front door.
It is alleged the accused would act intoxicated when confronted to avoid the resident contacting police.
Police are releasing the image of the accused in an attempt for more victims and witnesses to come forward.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents or who believes they are a victim of a related break and enter is asked to contact investigators at 519-650-8500 ext. 8422 or Crimestoppers.
Police also want to remind everyone to lock their doors and report any suspicious activity.
Following incidents on or near our campus communities, Laurier’s Special Constable Service takes the opportunity to remind the Laurier community about safety tips and the variety of supports available:
• Foot Patrol is a volunteer operated safe-walk program, available daily during evening hours. Teams of two are assigned to escort students to and from campus by foot or by van from 6:30 p.m. to 3 a.m. To arrange a walk call 519.886.3668
• Download the SafeHawk App for emergency notifications, contacts, maps and a safety toolbox
Health and Wellness support:
• Laurier’s Student Wellness Centre provides a variety of mental and physical health support services. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 519.884.0710 x3146.
• For urgent or after hours emotional/mental health support, call 1.844.437.3247, Special Constables Service at 519.884.0710 x3333, or call 911.
Gendered and sexual violence support:
• Laurier has a sexual violence support advocate, Sarah Scanlon, whose role is to help members of the Laurier community understand what support and reporting options are available to them on and off campus. She can be reached at 519.884.0710 x4847 or at email@example.com.
• 24 hour phone support is available at 519.741.8633 through the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region.
• Confidential Sexual Violence Counselling Services are available to students on campus through a partnership between Laurier and the Sexual Assault Support Centre. Call 519.571.0121 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
• Additional counselling services are available through the Wellness Centre (519.884.0710 x3146) for students and through the Employee and Family Assistance Program for staff and faculty (1-800-663-1142).
• Reports of sexual violence can be made to Special Constable Services by contacting 519.885.3333 or by dialling ext. 3333 from a campus phone.