April 1, 2015Print | PDF
April 1, 2015
For Immediate Release
WATERLOO – Wilfrid Laurier University’s Faculty of Arts is seeking submissions from Canadian writers for the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence (WIR) position for the winter 2016 term. The writer-in-residence will receive $25,000 for a three-month residency from Jan. 18 to April 8, 2016 on Laurier’s Waterloo campus.
Edna Staebler (1906–2006) was a member of the Order of Canada, an award-winning journalist and the author of 21 books, including the bestselling Schmecks series. She was a regular contributor to Maclean’s, Saturday Night, The Toronto Star, Chatelaine and many other newspapers and magazines. Staebler achieved her writing success later in life, much of which she attributed to the mentoring of a passionate teacher. She was determined to provide that same encouragement to developing writers.
The Edna Stabeler Laurier Writer-in-Residence was inaugurated in 2013. Previous Staebler WIRs have included creative non-fiction writer Andrew Westoll (2013) and playwright, filmmaker, and librettist Colleen Murphy (2014). Poet Sonnet L’Abbé will complete her residency in mid-April.
All Canadian writers of established literary reputation are encouraged to apply. The full-time position (40 hours/week) requires 40 per cent of the author’s time to be spent on planning and facilitating community programming, leaving 60 per cent of the work week available for the writer’s own creative projects. Community programming can include: reading manuscripts and consulting with students and the public, visiting classrooms, giving readings and lectures and leading workshops. For the duration of the residency, the author will live in Lucinda House, a century home close to Laurier’s Waterloo campus.
Applicants should be in the midst of a new writing project intended for book-length publication and be active participants in the writing community. Applications must be received by 4 p.m., May 31, 2015.
To see a full list of requirements or to apply for the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence position, visit the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence web page. Further questions may be addressed to Associate Professor Tanis MacDonald at email@example.com.
Wilfrid Laurier University’s Faculty of Arts is the proud administrator of Staebler’s legacy in the forms of the Edna Staebler Award for Creative Non-Fiction (established 1991) as well as the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence program.
– 30 –
We see you are accessing our website on IE8. We recommend you view in Chrome, Safari, Firefox or IE9+ instead.×